Deepen your impact and relevance ... now from your own computer!
The Harwood Virtual Public Innovators Lab takes our signature 2.5-day training and transforms it into an interactive 8-week online course. Thanks to help of recognized e-learning experts and our partners at Cornerstone OnDemand, now you can get the same quality training delivered in an innovative, new way without the time and expense of traveling to another location. At your office with co-workers or by yourself at home, you can get off the path of the status quo, learn to Turn Outward and use the community as the reference point for your actions, and get on an alternate path of possibility and hope.
WHO SHOULD SIGN UP?
The Virtual Lab, like our in-person Lab, is for people who are leading or supporting work to help address community problems. We call these individuals public innovators. They can come from nonprofits, faith organizations, businesses, government, academia and other areas.
Labs are especially suited for these kinds of people:
- People who play a key role in driving the execution of programs or initiatives that address community challenges
- Senior staffs that lead programmatic areas or are responsible for coordinating community initiatives
- CEOs of organizations that are of such a size that the CEO is often engaged directly in ensuring that community work gets done (usually smaller or mid-sized nonprofits)
- People responsible for community outreach, volunteer engagement, donor engagement or other areas around strengthening support of the community
If traveling to an in-person Lab or hosting a local Lab are challenges for you, then this could be a great option!
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- How to listen to and understand the community your organization serves
- How to use what you are learning to improve your programs and initiatives
- How you can help your community solve problems and improve the way people and organizations work together
- What it means to hold genuine authority, authenticity and accountability in your work - and how you can stay true to those values
WHAT WILL I GET?
- Access to more than 2,000 public innovators worldwide through our Public Innovators Listserv
- Three months of weekly tools, real world case studies, and tips on using what you’ve learned plus our monthly newsletter and Rich Harwood’s blog
- A Public Innovator Toolkit print ready for you to use with your staff and partners
- A library of videos that you can use to spread what it means to Turn Outward
- The Virtual Lab is structured as an 8-week online course.
- This program will take place every Tuesday from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time for 8 weeks starting September 20, 2016.
- Prior to the online class, everyone will receive weekly e-mails directing them to information to read and about 30 minutes of "homework" prior to class.
WHAT DO YOU COVER?
The Lab is organized into five areas that we go through step-by-step:
Being Turned Outward
- Make the personal choice to Turn Outward
- Apply being Turned Outward to my daily choices
- Embed Turning Outward across key functions
- Engage others to Turn Outward
Understanding My Community
- Focus on public knowledge
- Ask the right questions
- Understand what I am learning – and how to listen
- Apply new knowledge to making sound decisions
- Share what I am learning to build community ownership & allies
Creating Conditions for Change and Sustainability
- Know the stage of my community and its implications for effective action
- Identify the right conditions to accelerate and support change
Deciding on the Right Path
- Identify my sphere of influence
- Choose the best path to win
- Create an action plan
Making an Agreement with Myself
- Create a personal covenant
- Identify what rejuvenates you
"Seats" in the Virtual Lab are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.
1-4 people = $995/person
5-9 people = $945/ person ($50 off)
10+ = $895/ person ($100 off)
Participants will need:
- Access to a computer. Macs and PCs both work.
- An internet connection (wired connections are preferred but if using wireless minimize other open apps)
A phone line available for audio.
Computer System Requirements
- 1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Microsoft® Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, Windows 10, 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), 8.0
- (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows 7 or Windows 8
- Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 or later; Windows Edge browser; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
- Adobe® Flash® Player 13.0+
- 1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended
- Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, 10.1
- Browser: Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 13.0+